Scott McClellan on the Bush White House
Many journalists believed what they were told by the White House about the Iraq War.
Former White House press secretary Scott McClellan has written a memoir called "What Happened: Inside the Bush White House and Washington's Culture of Deception." ( Iraq claims burst over White House trail)
According to McClellan:
1. Bush was not "open and forthright" on Iraq. He used propaganda to sell the war.
2. The Iraq war "was not necessary."
The Iraq war "was a serious strategic blunder."
3. Bush botched the Hurricane Katrina affair.
4. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice was deft at deflecting blame.
5. Vice President Dick Cheney is "the magic man" who steers policy behind the scenes.
6. Former senior Bush advisor Karl Rove and Lewis "Scooter" Libby, Cheney's chief of staff, deceived McClellan on their role in the CIA leak scandal.
Journalists should not believe what they are told by the White House.